RE: JavaMemoryModel: Class Loaders and Garbage Collection

From: jmanson@cs.umd.edu
Date: Fri Jun 06 2003 - 17:20:45 EDT

> Are you asking about section 12.7 in the JLS, or did you have something
> else in mind?

> I'm not aware of anything specific about class loader reachability.

Yes...

We have a vague recollection that there was a rule that:

A) if an instance of a class is reachable, then the class loader is
reachable, and
B) if the class loader is reachable, then any class object it loaded is
reachable as well.

However, I am pretty sure this rule doesn't make any sense. For example,
if these were the only rules, then we could collect the class loader as
soon as we load it, before it loads any classes.

So I must be misremembering it. Does anyone have a clearer recollection
of this?

                                        Jeremy