JavaMemoryModel: CnC in SC- framework

From: Sarita Adve (sadve@cs.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 21:26:11 EDT

I wrote up a first cut of the CnC model in the SC- framework. See
http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/~sadve/JMM/cnc-in-sc-.pdf.

It is obviously more complex than the previous SC-, but fits in a page.

Interestingly, handling write-write races (Victor's messages) brought up
some questions - this is not strictly a causality or consistency issue, and
Bill may need to include this issue in his example set as well.

Bill/Jeremy - I can go through specific places where I think there could be
a discrepancy with CnC. I have also not formally defined what it means to
have the same action in two executions, I'll wait until the rest stands your
scrutiny.

Sarita

Sarita Adve
Associate Professor
Department of Computer Science Email: sadve@cs.uiuc.edu
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Office: 3302 DCL
1304 West Springfield Avenue Phone: 217-333-8461
Urbana, IL 61801-2987 Fax: 217-333-3501
                 WWW URL: http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/~sadve