Re: JavaMemoryModel: Semantics vs. compiler optimizations

From: Joseph Bowbeer (jozart@csi.com)
Date: Sun Aug 03 2003 - 18:31:07 EDT

Bill writes:

> Rule # 1 of compiler optimizations is that if you can't be caught,
> it isn't illegal. In other words: No harm, no foul.

I call this plausible deniability (as in: It might have happened some
legitimate way even though you're sure the compiler did something sneaky)

I can see your point. In practice, I assume other concerns will mitigate
against compilers that aggressively fix races.

Concerning the semantics, if we get to the point that a "fixed race" is used
to justify a behavior that would not have occurred in any SC-like execution,
then we've definitely gone too far -- which I believe is the point you're
making with cases 5 and 10.