Re: JavaMemoryModel: Isolation properties in the JMM

From: Bill Pugh (pugh@cs.umd.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 05 2004 - 13:00:14 EST

At 9:23 AM +1100 2/2/04, Sylvia Else wrote:
>I don't see this as really examining T1 and T2 in isolation, because
>to get to a point where this is deemed sensible, you've already
>looked at the final value in r3. From my perspective, it makes no
>sense to look only at T1 and T2 because there are other threads that
>might be in the same partition, and the only way to determine
>whether they are is to look at their outputs. For any partitioning
>to be useful, it should be determined statically.
>
>Sylvia.

The idea of the isolation property is for threads not in the same
partition, you only need to examine their behavior in this execution
enough to determine that they are not in the same partition.

Without this property, you may have to consider all potential
behaviors of all threads, including threads that weren't even created
in the execution you are trying to understand.