Re: JavaMemoryModel: Bugs in Tiger beta 1

From: Joseph Bowbeer (jozart@blarg.net)
Date: Wed Mar 10 2004 - 22:42:25 EST

Tom Hawtin writes:

>Only this afternoon I spotted crimes committed on
>javax.swing.text.html.HTMLEditorKit.defaultStyles and defaultParser.

Swing is a single-threaded subsystem and therefore should be mostly immune -
except at the boundaries, where it interacts with the multi-threaded world,
and in javax.swing.text.AbstractDocument, where it explicitly admits
asynchronous changes. [Aside: I'd give worlds to know just how the
notifications from these changes are communicated to the rest of the
single-threaded subsystem in a thread-safe way -- without first relaying
these notifications to Swing's input-event thread.]

When you say that accesses to the static, non-volatile defaultStyles and
defaultParser are not correctly synchronized, I assume you've concluded that
these accesses can result from asynchronous changes to the underlying
AbstractDocument. (right?)

--
Joe Bowbeer

----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Hawtin" <thawtin@tackline.demon.co.uk> To: <javaMemoryModel@cs.umd.edu> Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 5:22 PM Subject: Re: JavaMemoryModel: Bugs in Tiger beta 1

Bill Pugh wrote: > Does anybody with stronger Sun connections (Josh?) want to try to get > handled quicker than going through bug parade?

Could get a bit crowded on the bug parade if they all go individually.

> What other cases have you found? We should definitely get these > documented (and I should probably get Dave to write a bug pattern > detector for this case).

Wasn't the phrase "like shooting fish in a barrel"?

Only this afternoon I spotted crimes committed on javax.swing.text.html.HTMLEditorKit.defaultStyles and defaultParser.

Tom Hawtin