Re: JavaMemoryModel: Minor issue on hb edges and interrupts

From: Vijay Saraswat (vijay@saraswat.org)
Date: Thu Mar 18 2004 - 05:53:09 EST

I would argue against this, for the following methodological reason.

Reasoning with HB is tricky and can introduce subtle bugs that are a
nightmare in the field.

Java should strongly encourage programmers desiring to communicate
reliably between threads to use explicit synchronization.

In this case, just declare the variable volatile. It also captures
design intent (that this variable is being used to communicate between
threads) for readers and maintainers of the code.

This is Java, not C -- defining the language because programmers might
"expect" something to be reasonable is a general recipe for introducing
guns, knives and clubs ... there must be good solid methodological
reasons for defining the language a particular way.

Best,
Vijay