Re: JavaMemoryModel: Question about the semantics of volatile

From: Bill Pugh (pugh@cs.umd.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 18 2004 - 09:58:45 EST

On Mar 18, 2004, at 5:14 AM, Vijay Saraswat wrote:

> CCM semantics can handle either formulation. I suspect this decision
> will not makes a sharp separation between competing models.
>
> If weak supports the common programming idioms then why not mandate
> weak, with the justification that it requires less of the
> implementation?
>
> Best,
> Vijay

Because some people want to go beyond the common programming idioms.

I cited examples where the strong interpretation allows people to
write efficient concurrent idioms that could not be implemented with
the weak interpretation.

The real question (to my mind) is whether or not we can cite any
examples
where the strong interpretation imposes a higher implementation cost.

I believe that both the Treadmarks DSM implementation and IA-64 st.rel
and ld.acq
semantics support the strong interpretation directly.