JavaMemoryModel: Thread.stop()

From: Doron Rajwan (doron@rajwan.org)
Date: Thu Apr 08 2004 - 14:40:07 EDT

Although deprecated for a long time, java.lang.Thread
still have a public stop() method. This method causes
ThreadDeath Error to be thrown at the destination
thread, asynchronously. Moreover, it has an overload
that accepts a specific instance to throw, which can
be a class extending this ThreadDeath, and add
additional fields, objects, arrays, and so.

I think that when speaking on happens-before edge for
interrupted threads, we should also consider stopped
threads. At least in the stop(Throwable obj) overload,
there must be a happens-before edge between the caller
and the stopped thread.

Thanks,
  Doron.

=====