Re: JavaMemoryModel: New Unified JMM Description

From: Jerry Schwarz (jerry.schwarz@oracle.com)
Date: Tue Apr 13 2004 - 00:01:09 EDT

I finally had a chance to look at this in some detail and there is something that I think must be wrong.

Specifically the rules for committing actions include the following (apologies for ASCII notation)

1. Ci is a subset of Ai
6. For any read r in Ai - C(i-1) we have Wi(r) happens-before r
These imply that for any r in Ci - C(i-1) there will need to be a happens-before relationship between the read and the write that it sees.

This is obviously not intended so either (1) or (6) is misstated. My hypothises is that 6 is supposed to apply only to volatile reads, but I'm not terribly confident of that.