Re: JavaMemoryModel: PC language alert: catatonia action

From: Alexander Terekhov (TEREKHOV@de.ibm.com)
Date: Sat May 15 2004 - 17:08:39 EDT

Reclusive?

regards,
alexander.
Sent by: owner-javamemorymodel@cs.umd.edu
To: "javamemorymodel-cs.umd.edu" <javamemorymodel@cs.umd.edu>
cc:
Subject: JavaMemoryModel: PC language alert: catatonia action

We need to have a name for an action where a thread spins in an
infinite loop without every issuing any interthread actions (e.g.,
while (true); ). Since normally, only actions we consider are actions
that interact with other threads, it doesn't issue any of the actions
we normally use.

Right now, we are using the term catatonia action, and say that a
thread may perform an infinite sequence of
catatonia actions.

I just wanted to see if anyone had a suggestion for a better name, or
thought we should avoid catatonia since it refers to a real
sickness/disability some people have.