RE: JavaMemoryModel: When can a classloader be unloaded

From: Evan Ireland (eireland@sybase.com)
Date: Wed May 19 2004 - 23:45:13 EDT

Thomas,

"Any potential continuing computation" could in general include one
that uses the reflection API to invoke a static method.

Consider a class:

    class MyCache
    {
        static HashMap myCache = new HashMap();

        static HashMap get()
        {
            return myCache;

A piece of code which calls MyCache.get() in a loop, using the reflection
API (Class.forName(...).getMethod(...).invoke(...)) will break if class
garbage collection is used, as any data that is put in the cache after
one call might disappear by the next call.

Frankly, I think that class GC is a broken concept. We disable it
in our application server because it breaks user-defined caches.