Re: JavaMemoryModel: Question regarding causality&In-Reply-To=<42057579.80200>

From: Frank Peters (frank_peters@hotmail.co.uk)
Date: Sun Feb 06 2005 - 12:04:04 EST

Jeremy,

Thanks for that.

I see that rule 6 is a useful one to get things started, but in itself it
doesn't seem to prevent a commit of a write which does not happen-before a
read (as in the example of Figures 10 and 11, page 22 of the spec), so
committing x = 1 in C1 in the Fig 6 example seemed no different from
committing y = 1 in that example.

Still not seeing why the rules of section 7.4 in themselves take account of
issues like conditionals; perhaps what I'm missing is how the intra-thread
semantics limit possible well-formed executions. Time to think more!

Thanks again,
Frank