Re: JavaMemoryModel: JLS3 contains glitch concerning volatiles?

From: Craig Russell (Craig.Russell@sun.com)
Date: Thu Aug 18 2005 - 13:03:05 EDT

Hi,

As I understand the JCP process, the Maintenance Lead can at any time
propose a Minor Revision of an approved JSR. It's quite a simple
process in concept. You basically compose a list of changes, submit
it to the JCP for posting to the web site, wait 30 days (Maintenance
Lead's choice) and if there are no objections from the Executive
Committee, you are done.

Once it's been through this process, it's a matter of updating the
documentation to agree with the change list and posting the results
as a new revision of the specification.

I don't think that this clarification needs anything more than a
Minor Revision. The issue is whether it by itself warrants a Minor
Revision.

In any event, I'd support having the errata posted somewhere public.

Craig

On Aug 18, 2005, at 4:09 AM, Victor.Luchangco@sun.com wrote:

> From: Bill Pugh <pugh@cs.umd.edu>
>
>> I agree it is a fix that needs to be made. And we should start
>> a document listing fixes and clarifications to the JLS, since it will
>> probably be a while before even small changes to the JLS
>> make it into print.
>>

> Would you be willing to maintain such a list at your website?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "a while", but certainly doesn't
> have to wait for another edition, or even another release of Java.
> It could be just part of an errata sheet, and corrected in the
> next printing, right? And couldn't that be done relatively done
> relatively soon for the online version? We don't have to make
> a big deal about it: just treat it as if it were a typo.
>

>> But the fix is only to the explanation of the semantics, not
>> the semantics itself. Thus, there is no question of whether we
>> need to go through the JCP to get a change to the semantics
>> approved.
>>

> Yes.
>
> - Victor

> memoryModel