RE: JavaMemoryModel: JMM discussions moving to https://javamemorymodel.dev.java.net/

From: Boehm, Hans (hans.boehm@hp.com)
Date: Tue Aug 23 2005 - 20:24:05 EDT

Bill, Doug -

I didn't take a lot of time to verify this, nor run this past a lawyer.
But it seemed to me that in order to access the mailing list, I need to
agree to the java.net usage agreement, which I just declined to do.
This states in part:

12. The Hosts do not claim ownership of Submissions you post or make
available for inclusion on the Service. However, with respect to such
Submissions, notwithstanding any other provision of these Website Terms
of Participation, you grant to the Hosts a royalty-free, perpetual,
irrevocable, non-exclusive and fully sub-licensable right and license
under your intellectual property rights (including, but not limited to,
copyright, patent trademark and trade secret rights) to use, reproduce,
modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from,
distribute, perform and display your Submissions (in whole or part)
worldwide and/or to incorporate it in other works in any form, media, or
technology now known or later developed.

If I understand this correctly, then it seems to be entirely
unreasonable for the use of a mailing list. In particular, I'm not sure
whether it implies that Sun gets a license to any HP patent, whose
contents I happen to mention in a posting.

If it were at least symmetric, I'd run it past our lawyers. But as
written, this seems so far out of line that I would really advocate
going back to the old arrangement. I certainly don't want to encourage
the precedent that mailing list hosts get patent rights ...

Hans