CO 481/CS 467/PHYS 467: Introduction to quantum information processing (University of Waterloo, Winter 2014)
- Apr 23: Course projects have been graded and are available for pickup. Andrew will be in his office from 1:30–2:30 pm on Thursday, April 24, and from 11 am–noon on Friday, April 25, to return papers. You are welcome to arrange another time to collect your paper if you are not available at either of those times.
- Mar 27: Andrew’s office hour on Monday, March 31 has been canceled. I will hold an alternate office hour on Wednesday, April 2, from 10–11 am. You are also welcome to arrange appointments at other times and to ask questions by email.
- Mar 27: Please remember that your course project is due by 11:59 pm on Thursday, April 3. You should submit it by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send a PDF file.
- Mar 26: We will have a lab tour at our usual lecture time on Tuesday, April 1. Please meet a few minutes before 10 am in QNC 1501.
- Mar 24: In problem 4(b) of Assignment 5, you should be able to find two errors with the same syndrome that have different effects on the code space.
- Mar 7: Assignment 4 has been corrected: in problem 1(a), there should be a factor of 1/√p in the definition of Fp.
- Feb 25: Midterm solutions are now available.
- Feb 17: Andrew’s office hour on Thursday, Feb 20 will be held half an hour later than usual, from 1–2 pm. This is a one-time change.
- Feb 7: The midterms from 2010 and 2011 are available to give you a sense of what to expect on the midterm, and as sources of practice problems. The midterm will cover all material from the start of the course through introductory quantum algorithms (i.e., through Simon’s problem). Note that questions 1, 9, and 10 on the 2011 midterm are on material we have not yet covered.
- Feb 4: Andrew’s office hour on Monday, Feb 10 has been canceled. Instead I will hold an office hour on Wednesday, Feb 12 from 10–11 am.
- Jan 28: At the end of today’s class, someone picked up an assignment that had no name written on it. If you have this assignment, please let me know as soon as possible.
- Jan 21: Andrew’s office hour on Monday, Jan 27 will be held half an hour earlier than usual, from 9:30–10:30 am. This is a one-time change.
- Jan 18: Information on the course project has been posted.
- Jan 16: Please remember that the first assignment is due in the next class, on Jan 21.
- Jan 9: The midterm time has been changed to 8–9:50 pm on Feb 13. Also, office hours have been posted below.
- Jan 7: After today’s lecture, there were several questions about reversibility and the energy cost of computation. For more on this, see the article The thermodynamics of computation—a review by Charles Bennett. (You may only be able to use this link from the campus network, but you can find the article elsewhere by searching.)
Time: Tuesday/Thursday, 10:00–11:20 am
Location: QNC 0101
Assignments and solutions will be posted here as they become available.
|Jan 7, 9
||From classical to quantum information
||First lecture on Jan 7|
|Jan 14, 16
||Quantum mechanics, quantum protocols
|Jan 21, 23
||Quantum circuit model
||A1: Jan 21
|Jan 28, 30
|Feb 4, 6
||Introductory quantum algorithms
||A2: Feb 4
|Feb 11, 13
||Quantum Fourier transform, phase estimation
||Midterm: Feb 13, 8:00–9:50 pm, QNC 0101|
|Feb 18, 20
||No class—reading week|
|Feb 25, 27
||Order finding, Shor’s algorithm
||A3: Feb 25
Project topic: Feb 27
|Mar 4, 6
|Mar 11, 13
||Mixed states, quantum operations
||A4: Mar 11
|Mar 18, 20
||Quantum error correction, fault tolerance
|Mar 25, 27
||A5: Mar 25
|Apr 1, 3
||Lab tour, quantum key distribution
||Project: Apr 3
||IQC lab tour on Apr 1 (QNC 1501)|
Last lecture on Apr 3
Readings are from Kaye-Laflamme-Mosca. (errata)