Re: JavaMemoryModel: Introductions...

From: Doug Lea (dl@altair.cs.oswego.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 25 1999 - 20:30:13 EDT

> How about introductions?

I'm a professor at the State University of New York at Oswego (on the
shores of Lake Ontario). Except for Tom Cargill, I'm probably the
person who has been whining about JMM issues the longest. I'm happy to
see Bill taking the initiative to do something more productive than
whining!

Right now, and for the next month, I'm slaving away writing the second
edition of my Concurrent Programming in Java book, that will include
coverage of the memory model, but from a designer/programmer point of
view. A preliminary draft of the main section on this can be found at
http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/cpj/jmm.html. It will appear somewhat
differently in the book, but the basic content is pretty much the
same. You might note that I am betting hard that the initialization
loopholes will be patched. I think that in an OO language, programmers
must be able to rely on constructors actually constructing objects.
But on every other count, I'm hoping that we find a way to weaken the
model to enable the kinds of optimizations etc that have been
discussed. This is also reflected in the guidance in that draft.

Or, in other words, I find myself in complete agreement with Bill's
ordered list of issues yesterday, and would be thrilled to find that
other people too now agree about what the main problems are.

--
Doug Lea, Computer Science Department, SUNY Oswego, Oswego, NY 13126 USA
dl@cs.oswego.edu 315-341-2688 FAX:315-341-5424 http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/