Re: JavaMemoryModel: Idiom for safe, unsynchronized reads

From: Dennis Sosnoski (dms@sosnoski.com)
Date: Mon Jun 28 1999 - 13:56:10 EDT

Hi Raymie,

I'd like to understand more about the type of reordering operations you're
describing, and I assume I'm probably not the only one on the list who'd be
interested. Can you reference any online documentation or articles which
describe how this works? Or, alternatively, supply a more detailed description
yourself?

It's very counter-intuitive for me to hear about a processor that can apparently
reorder operations to load data referenced off a pointer before it loads the
pointer, if I understand your remarks properly.

  - Dennis