Re: JavaMemoryModel: Mutual exclusion effect of locks

From: Jeremy Manson (jmanson@cs.umd.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 15:48:31 EDT

> > Yue Yang wrote:
> > >
> > > The monitor enter and the corresponding monitor exit
> > > operation impose a critical section effect for the code between
> > them. That
> > > is, they should be properly nested. Although this is an apparent
> > > requirement, the JMM would not be complete without stating it.

[snip]

> This should be part of JMM because it directly affects legal memory
> ordering. Users shouldn't have to look elsewhere to find out this
> fundamental requirement.
>
> Note that the original JMM explicitely specifies this (section 17.5) even
> though it might have been mentioned in other places.

I should have mentioned that you should note that this requirement is
already, and will continue to be in the full sample chapter, as available
on our web page. It was in Chapter 17, and will continue to be. It just
isn't detailed in the memory semantics document we released last week.

We also didn't talk about final fields, treatment of long and double
values, finalizers or wait and notify. Anyone interested in such things
should check the sample chapter.

                                        Jeremy