Re: JavaMemoryModel: Happy birthday JMM mailing list

From: Sylvia Else (syljmm32@cryogenic.net)
Date: Sat Jun 26 2004 - 19:29:51 EDT

At 12:37 PM 26/06/2004 -0400, Bill Pugh wrote:
>(unfortunately, Gilad says that kerflooey isn't a technical
>term, and we can't use it to describe what happens to the semantics of
>final fields when
>you allow other threads to see the object before it is fully constructed).

Who decides what is or is not a technical term? Human languages evolve to
meet the needs of their users. This particular scenario of reference
leakage of objects with final fields has presumably never previously arisen
in human history. I thought that "kerflooey" was a very apt word, almost
onomatopoeic, to use in describing the semantic consequences.

Sylvia.