JavaMemoryModel: Schedule for changing the Java Memory Model

From: William Pugh (pugh@cs.umd.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2000 - 09:02:16 EST

I talked with Tim Lindholm, and we thought that the following schedule
would be reasonable for changing the Java Spec:

* April - Announce a JSR to change the spec. This would set out the issues
and point to
   some specific proposals.
* June - BOF's at JavaOne and PLDI, form expert committee, start process
* Summer - provide guidance on changes needed to JVM's and libraries to
make them
        compatible with the spec
* By end of 2000 (earlier if possible) - finalize spec

This schedule is ambitious schedule, but I think this is too important to
let it slip any further than this.

What do other people think of this schedule?