JavaMemoryModel: Re: Schedule for changing the JavaMemoryModel

From: Joseph Bowbeer (jozart@csi.com)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 02:52:31 EST

Bill,

It will be bad news for JMM if the Realtime Java spec (RTSJ) is adopted in its
current form before JMM gets off the ground.

According to your schedule, the JMM JSR won't be announced until a month or
two *after* public review of RTSJ has closed. I urge everyone to checkout RTSJ
while public review is still open.

  http://www.rtj.org/public/

The following article in Dr. Dobb's Journal presents a good overview of RTSJ.
It's also been the only place I've been able to find code samples.

  http://www.ddj.com/articles/2000/0002/0002g/0002g.htm

The are four code samples in the article, and not a single 'synchronized'
among them.

This quote is from section 5.2 of RTSJ (rev. 0.90):

    "Java monitors, and especially the synchronized keyword, provide a very
elegant means for mutual exclusion synchronization."

There is no mention of using 'synchronized' to transmit values between
threads.

--
Joe Bowbeer

----- Original Message ----- From: "William Pugh" <pugh@cs.umd.edu> To: <javaMemoryModel@cs.umd.edu> Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2000 6:02 AM Subject: JavaMemoryModel: Schedule for changing the Java Memory Model