RE: JavaMemoryModel: Proposals on wait and interrupts

From: Sylvia Else (sylviae@optushome.com.au)
Date: Fri Jun 06 2003 - 21:08:06 EDT

At 10:36 AM 7/06/2003 +1000, David Holmes wrote:
> > I would welcome a clear explanation of why VM developers
> > should not be expected to implement the documented behaviour.
> > The mere fact that they got it wrong in the past is not a reason.
>
>It might not be a good reason, or academically sound, but it's a
>practical reason. If you try and push a change that would force major
>rework of the existing JVM's implementations then it's not going to
>get through - simple as that. My opinion of course.

Well, yes, I can see that. However, I'm not pushing for a change. I'm
pushing for the status-quo, in that I'm asking that the specification
remain as it currently is. Any JVMs that don't implement that specification
are faulty, and always have been.

It would require a very weak specification indeed for all the current JVMs
to be deemed correct, given that they behave in different ways.

Sylvia.