Re: JavaMemoryModel: A new box for the Java Memory model

From: Doug Lea (dl@altair.cs.oswego.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 09 1999 - 08:47:07 EST

> >Additionally we augment the Java language to allow array entries to be
> >declared 'final' or 'volatile'.
>
> Whoa - language changes are very serious business!

I agree that language changes are a serious matter. But I think that
David's point (which I agree with) is that if we are relying on having
people use volatile and final as standard mechanisms to obtain
conformance to model in situations not otherwise requiring locks, then
the inability to apply these to array elements is a serious problem --
perhaps even a fatal flaw.

> What syntax do you
> propose for the extension?

Right. This is itself a big problem. I wish I knew of something tolerable.

-Doug