JavaMemoryModel: New Unified JMM Description

From: Jeremy Manson (jmanson@cs.umd.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 05 2004 - 15:38:21 EDT

Hi folks,

After much consultation from a lot of you, Bill, Sarita and I have put
together a new description of the memory model. It is different from,
but equivalent to, the last description. We feel that this one is
cleaner, and probably easier to understand.

Victor Luchangco deserves particular credit for his input; his
formalization of our model heavily influenced our new document.

As far as the semantics go, even after a great deal of scrutiny and
email back-and-forth, no one was able to take Bill up on his $100
bounty, so we are fairly confident in the new model. There are a couple
of tweaks to our treatment of one or two corner cases, but they do not
make a substantive difference to the model.

Information about the new description is on the same web page:
         http://www.cs.umd.edu/~pugh/java/memoryModel/unifiedProposal/

                                        Jeremy