CMSC 818Z (Spring 1999)
Tentative Reading List
1/28 Parallel Computing and Parallel Computers
Almasi and Gottlieb - Chapter 1
2/2 Applications of Parallel Computing
- Almasi and Gottlieb - Chapter 2 (2.1-2.1)
2/4 Computational Models and Algorithms
- Almasi and Gottlieb - Chapter 4 (section 4.1)
2/9 Expressing Parallelism (Explicit)
- "The PVM Concurrent Computing System: Evolution, Experiences, and Trends", (Postscript)
- J. J. Dongarra, S. W. Otto, M. Snir, and D. Walker, "A message passing standard for MPP and workstations," CACM, 39(7), 1996, pp. 84-90. (PDF)
2/11 Expressing Parallelism (Implicit)
- "Commutativity Analysis: A New Framework for Parallelizing Compilers", (Postscript)
- L. Dagum and R. Menon, "OpenMP: An Industry-Standard API for Shared-Memory Programming," IEEE Computational Science & Engineering, 5(1), 1998, pp. 46-55. (PDF)
2/16 Expressing Parallelism (HPF)
- "Compiling HPF for Distributed Memory MIMD Computers", (Postscript)
2/18 Distributed Shared Memory
- K. Li and P. Hudak, "Memory Coherence in Shared Virtual Memory Systems", ACM Transactions on Computer Systems, 7(4), Nov. 1989, pp. 321-359.
- Pete Keleher, Alan L. Cox, Sandhya Dwarkadas, Willy Zwaenepoel, "An Evaluation of Software Based Release Consistent Protocols", JPDC, 29(2), Sept. 1995, pp 126-141. (Postscript)
2/23 Interconnection Networks
Almasi and Gottlieb - Chapter 8
2/25 SPMD/MIMD Architectures
- Almasi and Gottlieb - Chapter 10
3/2 SPMD/MIMD Architectures
- Almasi and Gottlieb - Finish Chapter 10
3/4 Message Passing and Communication
- T. von Eicken, D. E. Culler, S. C. Goldstein, and K. E. Schauser, "Active Messages: a Mechanism for Integrated Communication and Computation", Proceedings of the 19th Int'l Symp. on Computer Architecture, May 1992, Gold Coast, Australia. (Postscript)
- S. L. Scott, "Synchronization and Communication in the T3E Multiprocessor", Proc. ASPLOS VII, Cambridge, MA, Oct. 1996 (Postscript)
3/9 Computational Grids
Grid book, Chapters 1-2
3/11 Event Ordering and Race Detection (Eric Peterson)
L. Lamport, "Time, Clocks, and the Ordering of Events in a Distributed System," CACM, 21(7), 1978, pp. 558-564.
Netzer, R. H. B. and Miller, B.P., "What are Race Conditions? Some Issues and Fomalizations", LOPLAS 1(1), March 1992. (PDF)
3/16 Midterm Exam
3/18 Performance Metrics (Vadim Katz)
- A. J. Goldberg and J. L. Hennessy, "Performance Debugging Shared Memory Multiprocessor Programs with MTOOL", Supercomputing'91. Nov. 18-22, 1991, Albuquerque, NM, pp. 481-490.
- J. K. Hollingsworth, "Critical Path Profiling of Message Passing and Shared-memory Programs," IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Computing, 9(10), 1998, pp. 1029-1040. (PDF)
3/30 Data Collection and Instrumentation (Okan Kolak)
- J. R. Larus and E. Schnarr, "EEL: Machine-Independent Executable Editing", In Proceedings of the 1995 SIGPLAN Conference on Programming Language Design and Implementation, pages 291-300, June 1995. (Postscript)
- Jeffrey K. Hollingsworth, Barton P. Miller, Marcelo J. R. Gongalves, Oscar Naim, Zhichen Xu and Ling Zheng , "MDL: A Language and Compiler for Dynamic Program Instrumentation", PACT'97 Nov. 1997, pp. 201-212 (PDF).
4/1 Scheduling - Short Term (Fatma Ozcan)
- John K Ousterhout, "Scheduling Techniques for Concurrent Systems", International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems, 1982, pp 22-30.
- A. C. Dusseau, R. H. Arpaci, D. E. Culler, "Effective Distributed Scheduling of Parallel Workloads", ACM SIGMETRICS Conference on Measurement and Modeling of Computer Systems, May 1996, Philadelphia, PA. (Postscript)
4/6 Work In Progress Reports for Class Projects
4/8 Performance Tools (Anil Kumar Akurathi)
D. A. Reed, R. A. Aydt, R. J. Noe, P. C. Roth, K. A. Shields, B. W. Schwartz, and L. F. Tavera, "Scalable Performance Analysis: The Pablo Performance Analysis Environment", in Scalable Parallel Libraries Conference, A. Skjellum, Editor. 1993, IEEE Computer Society.
B. P. Miller, M. D. Callaghan, J. M. Cargille, J. K. Hollingsworth, R. B. Irvin, K. L. Karavanic, K. Kunchithapadam, and T. Newhall, "The Paradyn Parallel Performance Measurement Tools", IEEE Computer, Nov. 1995. 28(11), pp. 37-46. (Postscript)
4/13 Visualization Tools (Rob Jaeger)
- M. T. Heath and J. A. Etheridge, "Visualizing Performance of Parallel Programs", IEEE Software, Sept 1991. 8(5), pp. 28-39.
- J. M Francioni, L. Albright, Jay Alan Jackson, "Debugging Parallel Programs Using Sound", 1991 ACM/ONR Workshop on Parallel and Distributed Debugging, May 20-21, 1991, Santa Cruz, CA pp. 68-75. (PDF)
4/15 Computational Steering (Gary Spivey)
- W. Gu, G. Eisenhauer, E. Kraemer, K. Schwan, J. Stasko, J. Vetter, and N. Mallavurupu, "Falcon: On-line Monitoring and Steering of Large-Scale Parallel Programs," Frontiers '95. Feb 6-9, 1995, McLean, VA, IEEE Press, pp. 422-429.
- R. L. Ribler, J. S. Vetter, H. Simitci, and D. A. Reed, "Autopilot: Adaptive Control of Distributed Applications," High Performance Distributed Computing, Chicago, IL, pp. 172-9.
4/20 Resource Aware Applications (Manoj Sharma)
- Grid Book - Chapter 12
- B. D. Noble, M. Satyanarayanan, D. Narayanan, J. E. Tilton, J. Flinn, and K. R. Walker, "Agile Application-Aware Adaptation for Mobility," Proceedings of the 16th ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles. Oct. 1997. (PDF)
4/22 Scheduling - Long Term (Yoni Wexler)
D. G. Feitelson and A. M. a. Weil, "Utilization and Predictability in Scheduling the IBM SP2 with Backfilling," 2th Intl. Parallel Processing Symposium. April 1998, Orlando, Florida, pp. 542-546. (Use this extended form - PDF)
4/27 Grid OS Support (Bill Shapiro)
- M. Litzkow, M. Livny, and M. Mutka, "Condor - A Hunter of Idle Workstations," International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems. June 1988, pp. 104-111.
- Grid Book - Chapter 11
4/29 Parallel I/O (Thomas Baby & Yannis Sismanis)
- P. F. Corbett, D. G. Feitelson, "The VESTA Parallel File System", ACM Transactions on Computer Systems, 14(3), August 1996, pp. 225-264. (PDF)
- M. D. Dahlin, J. M. Neefe, D. A. Patterson, D. S. Roselli, R.Y. Wang, T. E. Anderson, "Serverless Network File Systems", 1995 Symposium on Operating Systems Principals, pp. 109-126. (PDF)
- A. Acharya, M. Uysal, and J. Saltz, "Active Disks: Programming Model, Algorithms and Evaluation," Eighth International Conference on Architectural Support for Programming Languages and Operating Systems. Oct.1998, San Jose, CA. (PDF)
5/4 Performance Prediction (Mustafa Tikir)
- M. E. Crovella, Thomas J. LeBlanc, "Parallel Performance Prediction Using Lost Cycles", Proceedings of Supercomputing '94, 1994. (Postscript)
- E. Deelman, et al., "Poems: end-to-end performance design of large parallel adaptive computational systems," WOSP: International Workshop on Software and Performance. Oct. 1998, Santa Fe, NM, pp. 18-30. (PDF)
5/6 No Class
5/11 Project Presentations
5/14 Project Presentations