Alan Liu to Join University of Maryland's Department of Computer Science

A systems, networking and applied algorithms researcher, Liu will join UMD in fall 2023
Descriptive image for Alan Liu to Join University of Maryland's Department of Computer Science

Alan (Zaoxing) Liu will join the University of Maryland's Department of Computer Science as an assistant professor in fall 2023. Liu’s research focuses on systems, networking and applied algorithms.

"I am honored to be joining the University of Maryland, a university known for its research prowess and exceptional faculty," Liu said. "I anticipate fruitful collaborations with colleagues in an environment that fosters technological advancements."

Liu joins UMD from Boston University, where he was an assistant professor of electrical and computer engineering and head of the FROOT lab (which focused on making systems Faster, more future-pROOf and more Trustworthy).

Over the years, his work has been recognized with awards such as the USENIX Conference on File and Storage Technologies best paper award, USENIX Annual Technical Conference “Best of Rest” award and Association for Computing Machinery’s Symposium on Theory of Computing “Best of Theory” plenary talk.

"I am excited about the recognition my research has received and eager to explore new frontiers in computer science," Liu commented. "These awards reflect the collaborative efforts of my research team and the scientific community. I look forward to continuing my research at UMD and contributing to the department's success."

Liu's research interests extend beyond theory to practical implementations that yield tangible benefits. He aims to make a positive impact on computer network systems by developing resource-efficient, next-generation data centers capable of processing extensive data.

Liu received his Ph.D. in computer science from Johns Hopkins University in 2018 and completed a postdoc at Carnegie Mellon University’s CyLab.

—Story by Samuel Malede Zewdu, CS Communications 

The Department welcomes comments, suggestions and corrections.  Send email to editor [-at-] cs [dot] umd [dot] edu.