Alum Banjo Obayomi '11 Shares How Generative AI-Powered Assistants Improve Efficiency in the Workplace

AWS developer Obayomi harnesses generative AI tools to get answers and solve problems, while helping other engineers learn and build better services.
Descriptive image for Alum Banjo Obayomi '11 Shares How Generative AI-Powered Assistants Improve Efficiency in the Workplace

I’ve been interested in software engineering ever since I got hooked on video games as a kid. I studied computer science and graduated from the University of Maryland in 2011, which required a lot of hard work. I didn’t really get it at first—until I built my first app and saw how much creativity was involved in the process.

I went on to work for more than 10 years as a software engineer, initially coding for government contractors and later running cloud infrastructure and data analytics platforms for technology companies.

These days, I work at Amazon Web Services as what’s known as a developer advocate—it’s a role that allows me to connect with other engineers help them learn about AWS tools. I spend much of my time sharing my knowledge at workshops, meetups, and Community Day events.

Additionally, I do a lot of my own experimenting, building with latest tools and creating real-world applications for the newest generative AI tools that we are building.

One tool I’ve been using recently is Amazon Q, which our company just announced is now generally available. It’s a generative artificial intelligence-powered assistant that’s designed to revolutionize the future of work for employees across every organization and department.

When it was first previewed at re:Invent last year, I knew I needed to give it a try. Using generative AI, it can give you fast answers to questions, solve problems and generate content.

It’s useful for more than just developers like me, of course. IT professionals and business users of all kinds use the tool to extract relevant information to streamline tasks and speed up decision-making.

I think this is one of the best generative AI tools that can help to spark creativity and innovation at work.

Click HERE to read the full article

The Department welcomes comments, suggestions and corrections.  Send email to editor [-at-] cs [dot] umd [dot] edu.