Join Us for Maryland Day on Saturday, April 29
Explore our world of innovation and learning on Maryland Day! Maryland Day is an opportunity for prospective students and community members to learn more about the University of Maryland – and find out how the College of Computer, Mathematical, and Natural Sciences is reimagining teaching and learning to prepare the next generation of scientific leaders for success.
Unlock a world of learning, discovery and exploration, with hundreds of family-friendly festivities including exhibits, workshops, hands-on demonstrations, performances, cross-campus tours, lectures, petting zoos and athletic events.
Maryland Day will be held on Saturday, April 29, 2023, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., rain or shine. Admission and parking are free – see this campus map. Join the Department of Computer Science on Science & Tech Way for the eight events listed below!
Brendan Iribe Center for Computer Science and Engineering
- AI Feedback for Violin Instruction – Lobby, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- The Perception and Robotics Group is focused on bio-inspired research involving robotic systems, artificial intelligence (AI) and autonomous drones. See its latest project, an AI-driven teaching assistant for violin that offers feedback and instructional guidance to aspiring musicians. Researchers also showcase miniaturized drones designed to pollinate flowers.
- Break Through Tech – Lobby, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Meet members of a national program working at the intersection of academia and industry to propel women and underrepresented communities into technology. Learn more about how you can join this inclusive community as a student, mentor or industry partner.
- CompSciConnect: Not Your Typical Summer Camp – 1st Floor, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- CompSciConnect is a three-year summer day camp based in the Iribe Initiative for Inclusion and Diversity in Computing for middle schoolers to explore fields of computer science. See projects by current participants in robotics, app development, Python art, dynamic web design and 3D game design.
- Computer Science Advising – Lobby, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- UMD's computer science major ranks No. 8 among the country’s public undergraduate programs, according to U.S. News & World Report. Learn more about it from academic advisors and current students.
- Immersive Media Design – Room 0110 and AVW Lab, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- The immersive media design major combines students' artistic talents with computer science. Stop by to view students' and faculty members' interactive projections and virtual reality and augmented reality-based projects.
- Maryland Robotics Center – Lobby, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- The Maryland Robotics Center, an interdisciplinary research center housed in the Institute for Systems Research, offers demonstrations and posters of robotics research, as well as lab tours.
- Technica Hacks – Iribe Center Patio, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Technica is the world's largest hackathon for underrepresented genders, hosted annually by UMD students. Meet the "hacks" who promote the diversity of people in the tech industry as well as encourage underrepresented genders of all majors to pursue careers in technology.
- The Mokhtarzada Hatchery – Lobby, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Join student founders in the Mokhtarzada Hatchery, a place where startups are supported with seed funding, working space and mentoring. Watch demos and hear firsthand from students about how they are turning their startups into viable, sustainable ventures.
The Department welcomes comments, suggestions and corrections. Send email to editor [-at-] cs [dot] umd [dot] edu.